Sunday, November 2, 2008

Peter, Peter pumpkin eater...

Well, Halloween is over and what do you do with the pumpkins? Emma brought 2 smaller pie pumpkins home from her field trip to the pumpkin patch. Instead of dumping them in the garbage we decided to try to make real, homemade pumpkin pie. I really don't know what I was thinking...over 3 hours later the pies where just coming out of the oven.
First you have to bake the pumpkin to soften it up. Not hard and smelled wonderful! They also turned a really deep shade of reddish-orange.

After it is cooked, you scrape the pumkin out of the shell and then you have to strain it to get rid of the stringy, pulp stuff. The girls had fun helping with this.

Pumpkin goo...fully strained. Boy did we have a mess!


Out of the oven. Looks pretty good. I have to say this is the first time I have ever made a homemade pie shell also. Brandon told me after it was all over that he wasn't holding out much hope for taste since this was the first time I had attempted such a thing.


The final product. And yes...it tasted wonderful. Brandon even thought so. Madie ate a piece by herself as well. Emma refused! It isn't as creamy as pumpkin pie from the can. The texture is a little courser. Would I do it again...probably. It was kinda fun but very time consuming!





3 comments:

Betsy said...

Looks wonderful! The Martha in me has always wanted to try to do that...

TJ said...

You have way more ambition in your big toe than I have in my entire body!

Michelle {bsktgirl} said...

seriously?
You are making me feel bad...you saw my freakin pumpkin! Common! Now your getting all betty crocker on us.....sheesh.
LOL!